Sunday, April 4, 2010

Cherry Blossoms

Saturday was the annual Cherry Blossom Marathon in Gyeongju. My 2 foreign co-workers and I signed up to do the 5k. It was only 20,000 won and we got a nice sports jersey to wear during the marathon. Although, I was kinda hoping for a cheesy t-shirt that said Gyeongju Cherry Blossom Marathon on it like you get at these types of events in the States. The weather was beautiful-clear and warm-but the Cherry Blossoms hadn't come out yet. We walked part of the 5k then ran the rest. It was a great run, I think I might start training and do part of the Columbus Marathon when I get home in October. I've always wanted to do a marathon. I could by no means do it now, but with training I'm sure I could at least do a half marathon.

After the marathon I met with my friend 문영. We got some lunch then went to Tumuli park and walked around. The tombs here are covered with a large mound of dirt and rocks then covered in grass. The park is beautiful. 문영walked up to the top of one of the burial mounds and was yelled at by a little kid to get down haha, let it be known this kid was doing the same thing not 5 minutes earlier haha. After the park we went across the street to the observatory. We got to see some Cherry Blossom trees that had bloomed, kids flying kites, and a rake that had somehow gotten up into one of the trees. We grabbed some coffee and I went home to sleep (had only gotten about 3 hours of sleep the night before, just couldn't sleep..)
I gladly woke up to a message from True about having a little party out at his cabin again. I love hanging out at his cabin. I met up with some friends and we all drove out to the cabin. We cooked some food, then drank, a lot. haha. It was fun, playing drinking games, talking with the girls ^_^, dance party, pics. It was a great night. We eventually all fell asleep, but I didn't sleep much at first. Sat outside to clear my head and enjoy the refreshing night air. True's cabin is such a peaceful place. I woke up a few times in the morning, it was warm enough to just sit outside and read for a bit. Once everyone woke up we hung out outside for a bit, listening to some music and then Rach and Jess left. This leaves True, Matt, and myself. We just relaxed around the cabin, which I was more than happy to do. Decided against doing anything too active due to 소주 hangovers (which I somehow managed to avoid). We cleaned up and left, deciding to go to the sea, then changed our minds and decided to go to Bomun, then Matt changed his mind and decided to go home. But right after we drop him off he calls me--he left his keys at the cabin! So off we went back to the cabin to search for the keys, found them. We ended up spending about 2 hours in the car! ugh. Unfortunately by time we finally did drop Matt off neither True nor I were really up for doing much so he dropped me off.

Overall a great weekend-a new goal to train for, quality time spent with some great friends, some good memories made. Hopefully, things will soon be a bit more interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment